By Comms Unplugged co-creator Sally Northeast
Comms Unplugged is a different kind of learning and development event and it’s open to anyone in comms, whatever stage of their career they’re at. Sometimes accessing the right learning opportunities can be a challenge – many of them are really expensive, they can be dominated by people who are more senior in the industry and that might put others off from attending.
We understand how important it is for everyone to access the right opportunities to help them develop and build their career. Not only that – we’d love to spread the much-needed wellbeing ethos more widely across our industry. And at Comms Unplugged we like a level (playing) field – well, with just a few bumps and a gentle slope maybe!
We know that Comms Unplugged is great value but we also recognise that some people may face barriers to joining us in the field. So we’ve launched the #CUinthefield Scholarship to give opportunities and support to comms professionals in these four groups:
- New comms professionals (in the first 2 years of their comms career)
- Returners to comms (maybe after a career break, maternity leave or other reason)
- Members of small teams (of 3 or under who have limited funding or chances to get to development)
- Comms professionals made redundant from a comms role in the last year
Comms Unplugged will provide a free place to one person from one of these groups. APPLY NOW using our form.
In addition, following a lovely conversation on one of our WhatsApp groups, we’re launching the #CUinthefield scholarship fund so that you can help someone in one of those groups to be in the field! Some of our generous unpluggers and friends have already said they’re up for crowd-funding so we’re aiming to provide at least one additional scholarship place. If you’d like to donate (£10 or multiples of it) you can do so via our online shop (under merch).
Are you in one of the groups above and desperate to be in the field? Do you know someone who would really benefit but, for whatever reason, they’re not able to buy a ticket? Do you want to be part of a movement that supports busy comms people in their learning and wellbeing (remember – give is on of the five steps to wellbeing)? If there’s a yes to any of these then get involved and either apply yourself, nominate someone who deserves it or put a tenner (or more) in the scholarship fund pot. You’ll be glad you did!
Terms and conditions
- We welcome applicants with less than two years comms career experience, recently returned from a six-month or more career break, in a team of three people or fewer or made redundant from a comms role in the last year.
- Applications close at midnight on 31 May 2019 and will be assessed by Comms Unplugged organisers Sally Northeast, Georgia Turner and Darren Caveney. We’re looking for heart, enthusiasm and curiosity about being unplugged and the benefits it can bring.
- One scholarship place will be donated by the Comms Unplugged team. Any further places are dependant on sufficient funds being raised through our scholarship fund.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 14 June 2019.
- The #CUinthefield scholarship covers the ticket price only – this includes all workshops, activities, pitch fees and catering throughout the event (excluding alcoholic drinks, and additional hot drinks which are available to buy).
- Successful applicants will need to cover travel costs and bring their own camping equipment.
- Successful applicants will be asked to choose their ticket ie 2-nighter, 1-nighter or day ticket.
- We will not publicise who has received a #CUinthefield Scholarship without their express permission. Receipt of the scholarship ticket is not conditional on this permission.
- Places are not transferable to someone else and there will be a reserve list in case a successful applicant cannot take up their place. If there is no reserve the place will be funded the following year.
- Donations to the scholarship fund will only be used to fund scholarship places and not for any other element of the event or for the benefit of Comms Unplugged LLP or its partners.
- We may ask you or the person you’ve nominated for additional information about the application if we feel it’s needed.
- A maximum of four scholarship places (including the one donated by #teamunplugged) will be awarded in any one year. Any remaining funds will be held over for the following year’s scholarships.
— Sunday 7th April —